Asian American and Pacific Islanders heritage month at West High

May 1 marks the official beginning of Asian American and Pacific Islanders heritage month.

Nicole

Discover great ways to celebrate the Iowa AAPI community today.

Nicole Lee, Opinion Editor

As we enter into the month of May, West High also welcomes graduation season, AP exams, prom, as well Asian American and Pacific Islanders Heritage Month. The AAPI community currently makes up around 11.6% of West High’s student population and can take this month as a chance to bring their diverse cultures and histories into the spotlight where they can be celebrated and appreciated.

It should be important to acknowledge first that the word “Asian” is a very broad term that encompasses a variety of countries, regions, ethnicities, and histories. It’s a nuanced dictionary; however, simply referring to a specific culture as “Asian” can sometimes be deemed offensive or as disregarding unique cultures and identities. This is an important reminder to keep in mind as we head into the history of this movement.

AAPIHM originates back to 1977, which began as a single week in May to help commemorate the accomplishments of AAPIs. May was chosen specifically as this was the month the first Japanese immigrated to the US in 1843 as well as marking to day the transcontinental road was completed (many of the workers who toiled away to lay the track were Chinese immigrants). This soon transformed into an entire month by 1990 when former US President George W. Bush designated May as the official Asian American and Pacific Islanders Month. Since then, this has become a nationally celebrated movement helping push for the promotion and success of these often overlooked minority groups. As for the 2023 theme for AAPIHM, the Federal Asian Pacific Islander Council (FAPA) announced that they’ll be continuing the “Advancing Leaders” series, which began in 2021 with “Advancing Leaders Through Opportunity.”

There are several great ways to participate this month to help celebrate with the local AAPI community. Starting off with a popular choice: reading up on books that highlight AAPI authors and listening to the various narratives that come from these cultures. It’s important to let these voices speak up for themselves and be able to stop and listen. Check out the collection of stories the West High library has gathered together as your first step. And if reading isn’t your forte, there is no need to worry; there are plenty of AAPI podcasts you can check out as well.

For local events, look no further than the Iowa Asian Alliances “CelebrAsian” taking place on May 26-27th at Western Gateway Park in Des Moines. Experience this festival’s authentic cuisine, cultural entertainment, and educational activities that unite all the different AAPI communities in Iowa. If you wish to take a more active role, you can even register to become a volunteer or sponsor for this popular event.

Iowa State University will also be taking part in AAPIHM by hosting a program including remarks from ISU and Ames City leaders, a short documentary about the AAPI heritage and contribution, a keynote speech by the ISU Dean of Library Service Hilary Seo, a traditional AAPI music performance (including world-class musicians), and an award presentation to winners of the 2022 AAPI Heritage Month Essay Contest. Registration is free and welcome for anyone, taking place on May 7th. The event will also be live-streamed on Youtube.

April showers bring May flowers and the chance to spread more awareness and celebrate the progress the AAPI community has made in this country. Explore these fun opportunities and discover more if you’re willing. AAPIHM is free for anyone to honor and observe and brings more inclusivity to this country as a whole.