• Have a good summer Trojans!

Wesal Haroun
Wesal Haroun
Yearbook Co-Editor-in-Chief

(she/her) Wesal Haroun is a senior at West High and this is her third year on staff. She is the Trojan Epic Yearbook Co-Editor-in-Chief. In addition to photography and design, she likes to hang out with...

Chess at West

What does it look like to be a part of Chess Club at West High?

Every Friday morning at 8 a.m. in room 206 (Mr. Kirpes), West High School’s Chess Club meets up to socialize with other chess enthusiasts. The room is a tranquil quiet space, save for some light chatter among the club members and the movement of chess pieces. 

When talking to students about what they liked most about Chess Club, many students shared the same sentiment that the club has a “chill” environment that allows everyone, no matter their skill level, to have fun and learn from each other.

“No matter what level if you’ve played chess or haven’t we get together and play together and have fun and inspire each other to get better at chess,” Eyed Ali ’25 said.

While plenty of students partake in chess competitions, not everyone in the club is there to compete. Some students are simply there to play chess and socialize with other students with an interest in chess.

“I don’t really enjoy tournaments overall but I like playing with other people it helps me meet new people,” Jacoby Hess ’25 said.

While the earlier meeting time might dissuade some students, the Chess Club is a great club to meet other students and play some chess.