• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

October news briefs

As the days get colder and fall approaches, take a look back at the events that marked the beginning of the school year.
West+High+had+a+busy+start+to+the+year%2C+look+back+at+some+of+the+memorable+moments.+
Helen Orszula
West High had a busy start to the year, look back at some of the memorable moments.

School Changes (Aug. 23)

This year, students were met with many new policy changes. Parking passes are now free after previously being $5. In addition, the school will tow cars without passes and students’ cars parked in the teacher lot, bus lane and fire lane. Advisory has returned to West and takes place on Wednesdays. Students will have the same Advisory teacher for every year they are at West.

Cones sit in front of West High, preventing faculty from parking there. (Gianna Liu)

West Ranked #1 (Aug. 29)

U.S. News and World Report ranked West High the #1 high school in Iowa and the #398 school in the United States. U.S. News took factors such as college readiness, graduation rate and state assessments into consideration for this ranking. Liberty High and City High also ranked #6 and #12 in Iowa, respectively. 

Theatre West Auditions (Sept. 11)

Theatre West is showcasing “A Christmas Carol.” Auditions for the fall production took place in the Arganbright Auditorium. 39 students are acting in the show with Andreas Warren ’24 playing Ebenezer Scrooge. The production will be held Nov. 30 to Dec. 2, and tickets are sold online at theatrewesthigh.com. 

Club Fair (Sept. 13)

The club fair took place in the cafeteria during Advisory and sixth period. 48 clubs participated in the club fair including new clubs such as Table Tennis Club, Film Club and Pickleball Club.

Vismetha Vuppala ’24 sets up the HOSA poster for the club fair Sept. 13. (Wesal Haroun)

Winners of the Hero of Troy pose at Homecoming Sept. 23. (Mitch Gross)

Homecoming (Sept. 19-23)

Homecoming kicked off with spirit week including themes like pajama day, t-shirt signing day, Adam Sandler day, anything-but-a-backpack day and green and gold day. A homecoming parade honoring the Heroes of Troy nominees took place Sept. 20 in Galway Hills and featured sports, band and more. The Mamma Mia-themed homecoming dance took place at West High Sept. 23. The six Heroes of Troy included seniors Aidan Jacobsen, Ankur Karandikar, Cindy Wang, De’Jah Jordan, Zaira Ahmad and Zoe Smith. 

Football (Sept. 15-22)

Following their 35-28 win against Liberty in the season opener Aug. 25, the Trojans played the Little Hawks in the 55th annual Battle for the Boot Sept. 15. The game took place on Bates Field at City High with the Trojans losing to the Little Hawks 23-8. West faced Ankeny Sept. 22 in the Homecoming Game and lost 48-21.

Mason Goering ’26 and Izaiah Loveless ’24 lead the Trojan team onto the field for their first home game of the season Sept. 8. The boys dominated Muscatine High school winning 42-20. (Elena Garcia Van Auken)