Taelim
Taelim Yoon
Yearbook People Co-Editor

(she/her) Taelim is a sophomore at West High, and this is her first year on staff. Specializing in sports coverage, she is a reporter and designer for Trojan Epic. Outside of school, she's usually listening...

November news briefs

With the first trimester coming to an end, WSS recaps memorable moments for the Trojans.
Anna Song
As the weather gets chillier, WSS looks back on some special fall moments.

Boys golf state

For the first time since 2009, the boys golf team qualified for the state meet, placing second in their district at the Mississippi Valley Conference. Team captain Dillon Croco ’24 finished first with five-under 66 and earned medalist honors. The team placed 12th at the state meet after a historic season.

Football season recap 

Varsity football ended their regular season with a 4-5 record. Jack Wallace ’25 set a new school record for most passing yards in a single game against Cedar Rapids Prairie Oct. 20 with 484 yards. 

Izaiah Loveless ‘24 runs past a Liberty defender at the first game of the season against Liberty. (Ceci De Young)

All-State auditions

Over 80 West orchestra, band and choir students auditioned for All-State at Washington High School Oct. 21, with 26 students from orchestra, 12 from band and four from choir accepted. They performed at the annual Iowa All-State Music Festival Nov. 16-18 at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. 

Gabe Conrad ‘26, Lexie Vogt ‘24 and Maya Hanna ‘25 were accepted into the IHSMA All-State. (Photo Courtesy of Lexie Vogt)

Fall spirit week 

West celebrated the arrival of fall with a spirit week Oct. 23-27, culminating in a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness. Student Government sold pink merchandise during lunch, including heart-shaped glasses, bandanas and cowboy hats, raising $608 for local non-profit Team Breast Friends.

Claire Hahn ‘25, Jeffrey Conner and Anjali Lodh ‘25 wear matching outfits on “Twin Day”. (Photo Courtesy of Claire Hahn)

Cross country state 

Eight West runners individually qualified and competed in Fort Dodge, Iowa, at the 2023 State Championships Oct. 27. Susanna Olson ’27, Kate Van Waning ’26 and Kalli Titus ’25 placed 73rd, 100th and 127th, respectively, in the girls 5000-meter. Moustafa Tiea ’25, Michael Lee ’24, Cade Benson ’24, Sam Showers ’25 and Brice Wahe ’25 placed 47th, 81st, 85th, 107th and 115th in the boys 5000-meter, respectively. 

The boys cross country team state qualifiers pose for a picture outside of West High. (Photo Courtesy of Boys Cross Country Instagram)

UNICEF halloween fundraiser

UNICEF club held its annual Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF fundraiser Oct. 31, distributing collection boxes to classrooms and students. They raised over $100, which will go towards numerous causes such as delivering vaccines and providing people with winter clothes. 

Donations to UNICEF can be made by scanning the QR code on boxes. (Gianna Liu)