Chloe
Chloe Rogers
FOJ Intern

(she/her) Chloe is in 10th grade and this is her first year on staff. She is a FOJ intern. Chloe likes to play softball, sleep and take pictures for the Trojan Epic yearbook.

38 students compete in TEAMS state competition

West traveled to the ICCSD Center for Innovation Feb. 23 to compete in the TSA TEAMS state competition.
West+students+prepare+for+the+build+challenge+portion+of+the+TEAMS+state+competition+Feb.+23.+
Marie Stier
West students prepare for the build challenge portion of the TEAMS state competition Feb. 23.

JETS (Junior Engineering Technical Society), also known as TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics and Science), is an annual competition held by the Technology Student Association that tasks teams with applying STEM reasoning and problem-solving in three collaborative challenges: essay, multiple choice and build. 

West’s nine JETS teams began their competition by researching and developing an essay that proposed unique solutions to this year’s theme of “Engineering Another World.” On the competition date of Feb. 23, teams from West and City High gathered in the ICCSD Center for Innovation. The competition began with a 60-minute multiple-choice test that consisted of four sections of STEM questions. Then, teams participated in a 90-minute building competition, creating solutions to an engineering challenge related to this year’s theme.

Dylan Frisvold ’27 participated in the TEAMs competition for the first time.

“Going into it I had a basic idea of what to expect because of my older sister does it, and has done it in the past, but I didn’t know fully what to expect,” Frisvold said. “I enjoyed it a lot and it was a great experience. My favorite part was the building competition. It was my favorite because it was fun to work with my hands and create an idea and problem solve along the way working within the time limit.”

Anjali Lodh ’25 shared similar feelings toward the build portion. 

“My favorite part was working on the build project and collaborating with my teammates to create a solution to a real-world problem,” Lodh said.

In its first year coached by Keith Kraeplin last year, seven West teams finished with a top ten place in Iowa. The top teams — all from West — were eligible to compete in the 2023 National TEAMS Competition. However, West was unable to attend the 2023 National competition due to an insufficient budget. This year’s competition rankings and team scores will be announced in April to determine qualifiers for the 2024 National TEAMS Competition, which will be held in Orlando, Florida, June 26-30.