Charlotte
Charlotte Stephens
Yearbook Co Student Life Editor

(she/her) Charlotte is a sophomore at West High and this is her first year on staff. She is Co-Student-Life-Editor of the Yearbook. In her free time you can find her hanging out with friends or family,...

Mock Trial: scrimmage recap

West High’s Mock Trial teams attended a City High scrimmage to practice for their upcoming Regional competition.
Gold+Defense+and+Green+prosecution+pose+for+a+group+photo+in+the+Johnson+County+Courthouse.+
Photo courtesy of Traci Burns
Gold Defense and Green prosecution pose for a group photo in the Johnson County Courthouse.

West High’s Mock Trial team traveled to City High Feb. 25 to participate in a scrimmage. Mock Trial Coach Michael Mettenburg and Assistant Coach Traci Burns led the two West teams, Green and Gold, in competition against different schools within the area. While little detail was provided as of Feb. 26, the teams received general feedback for their performance and improvement points for the Regional competition Mar. 21. 

For West’s two Mock Trial teams, Jessica Li ’24 and Reem Kirja ’25 captain the Gold team, and the Green team’s captains are Titan Ross ’26 and Jasmine Tsang ’26. Waylon Houchins-Witt ’25 is the team manager, and Holden Rebich ’25 is the witness captain.

Attorneys for the Gold team include Houchins-Witt, Rawan Babiker ’25, Marie Stier ’25, Jack Moreland ’24 and Bashir Eltyeb ’25. Sidney Tranel ’25, Benjamin Kleiman ’24 and Allison Reed ’25 are witnesses.

Attorneys for the Green team are Minna Abdalla ’26, Waad Dafalla ’26, Alice Gooblar-Perovic ’27, Aahana Gupta ’27 and Aiden Zhang ’27. Witnesses include Abdalla, Dafalla, Gooblar-Perovic, Henry Gildbertson-White ’27, Franny Jordan ’26 and Sudarshan Kasturirangan ’26.