Minna Abdulla 26
Minna Abdalla
Assistant Sports Editor

(she/her) Minna is a sophomore at West High and this is her first year on staff. Her job title on staff is assistant sports editor. In her free time she likes to go bike rides, play soccer and hang out...

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Last week, I watched The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I’m not a Tolkien fan (actually, I have never read any of his books) but after seeing this movie, I definitely plan on reading some of Tolkien’s books. It had been a long time since I last saw a fantasy movie, and The Hobbit reminded me of how refreshing fantasy is.

The movie had a wonderful balance of comedy, action and drama. Unlike many other fantasy and action movies, The Hobbit provides a mix of bright, beautiful landscapes and dark, mysterious sceneries.

Martin Freeman did a great job portraying his character, Bilbo, as a quirky, charming hobbit. Ian McKellen plays a very respectable Gandalf, and Richard Armitage is rugged and fierce as Thorin Oakenshield.

However, there are some common complaints about the movie. For Tolkien fans, the addition of a she-elf is blasphemous, but I believe it creates a more entertaining and varied movie without taking away the essence of The Hobbit. Who doesn’t love Tauriel and the additional plot-line she creates?

People also criticize the movie for it’s excessive use of computer generated imagery (CGI). I would have to agree. Action in it’s rawest form is the most exhilarating. But the CGI was by no means distracting.

The movie as a whole was very impressive. I will definitely be there when The Hobbit: There and Back Again comes out on December 17, 2014.

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug