West High officially announces girls wrestling team

Later this year, West will begin their first ever all-female wrestling team.

Follow+WSS+on+Twitter%2C+Facebook+and+Instagram+for+the+most+up+to+date+coverage+concerning+West+High.+

Rain Richards

Follow WSS on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for the most up to date coverage concerning West High.

Edward Keen, Arts Editor

On Friday Nov. 1, assistant wrestling coach Kody Pudil announced the addition of a girls wrestling team to the sports roster through an email to female West students. This news comes on the heels of Pudil announcing his interest in the idea in May.

The season will last from right after Thanksgiving break until Jan. 21, with practices occurring 3-4 times a week. The season will see the team participating in 3-4 total tournaments, and will culminate with female wrestlers participating in the 2nd Annual Girl’s State Tournament on Jan. 24.

In the email, Pudil stressed the importance of having the opportunity to form an all-female wrestling team. He also cited that participating in Wrestling will help female athletes in other sports as well.

Specifics for the team are still being finalized, including finding a coach for the team. Pudil will hold two meetings on Nov. 6 in room 31 at 8:30 AM and 4:10 PM to discuss details of the Girl’s wrestling season including the schedule and uniform options, and to answer questions from athletes considering to participate.