Trojan cross country teams impress at MVC divisional meet

Both the girls and boys cross country teams competed at the Iowa City Kickers Soccer Complex for the MVC-Valley Divisional meet on Oct. 14.

Isabella Tisdale

Alex Mckane ’22 starts off the race strong with an early lead on Sept. 28.

Hanah Kitamoto, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

The Trojan cross country teams competed in their last home meet of the season on Oct. 14. 

The girls cross country team placed third overall with Cindy Wang ’24 finishing fourth with a time of 20:05 along with fellow sophomore Gabby Moniza placing 11th (21:02). Shortly after, Annie Schwartz ’23 placed 14th in 21:12. Sara Alaya ’22 and Erinn Varga ’24 placed 16th and 19th, respectively. 

Wang received 1st team all-conference honors while Schwartz, Moniza received 2nd team honors and Varga and Alaya honorable mention. 

The boys team followed the girls’ race. Alex McKane ’22 finished the race with yet another individual win (15:59). Seth Cheney ’23 finished in fifth place with a time of 17:03 Underclassmen Michael Lee ’24 placed eighth and Moustafa Tiea ’25 placed 12th. Asher Overholt ’23, Caden Noeller ’22 and Robert Strong ’GRAD finished 16th, 18th and 22nd respectively. 

In addition to the second-place team finish, McKane and Cheney received 1st team honors, Tiea and Lee received 2nd team honors and Noeller and Overholt took homie honorable mention honors. 

Both teams will travel to Indianola Pickard Park on Oct. 20 for the state qualifier meet.