PALS and Community Inclusion Club defeats faculty in annual basketball game

PALS and Community Inclusion Club faced off against faculty in the fourth annual basketball game after school Nov. 11.

Owen Aanestad

Kerry Wang ’25 celebrates a students bucket during the PALS and Community Inclusion Club’s annual basketball game against the faculty on Nov. 11.

Hanah Kitamoto, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

After a year of no traditions, PALS and Community Inclusion Club played in their annual basketball game against West High faculty after school on Nov. 11 in the West High Main Gym. PALS and CIC defeated the faculty 29-25.

The game started off with West High alumni Katie Lipes ’15 singing the national anthem. The West High band also performed throughout the game to keep the liveliness in the gym.

In the first of four five-minute quarters, the faculty took an early lead. However, by the 2:37 mark, PALS and CIC took over the lead 6-4. In the second quarter, Byamungu Omari ’20 scored two points for the PALS and CIC with 45 seconds left quarter to extend their lead to 18-10. After the first half, the score was 21-12 PALS and CIC.

With 2:23 left in the game, Assistant Principal Maureen Head missed a free throw, causing the faculty to trail 25-23. PALS and CIC gained four more points in the rest of the fourth quarter, with a final score of 29-25.

Overall, the annual basketball game was a memorable moment for Jordan Caperon ’23.

“I think the game went pretty good,” Caperon said. “After all, to me, it doesn’t matter what the scoreboard says, it’s all about playing.”