Three athletes sign to compete at schools in the Midwest

Three senior athletes signed their National Letters of Intent in the West High cafeteria Feb. 1.

Ceci De Young

Seniors Seth Cheney, Tamiah Teran and Christian Janis signed their National Letters of Intent in the West High cafeteria Feb. 1.

Ella De Young, Print Managing Editor

To start off the exciting, busy month of February at West High, three accomplished athletes in three different sports signed their National Letters of Intent in the West High cafeteria after school Feb. 1. Not only did these students find schools where they can continue pursuing their academic goals, but also schools where they will be able to keep achieving their athletic ambitions. West High’s 2023 winter signing day celebrated seniors Seth Cheney, Tamiah Teran and Christian Janis.

Cheney will travel about three hours to Iowa Central Community College in Fort Dodge this upcoming fall. Cheney will compete on the cross-country team there. He plans to major in mechanical engineering. Cheney explains why he ultimately chose to continue his academic and athletic career at Iowa Central.

“What made me commit was mostly the coaching aspect there. I didn’t get to really see much of the team, but I feel like the team works really well, and they’re one of the best community colleges in the state of Iowa,” Cheney said. “Plus the overall community aspect of the college campus really impressed me, and they’re a lot cheaper than the Division III [schools].”

Teran will also stay in Iowa as she signed her National Letter of Intent to play softball at Grand View University in Des Moines two hours away. Teran will be majoring in nursing with a focus of going into pediatric oncology. Teran describes what made Grand View the right fit for her.

“I committed to Grand View University because my mom is an alumni there, and it just felt like home,” Teran said.

Lastly, Janis will head off this fall to his new home at the University of Sioux Falls in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The varsity athlete in football, swimming and track chose to focus on football in his upcoming college years as a USF Cougar. He plans to major in sports medicine. Janis details the significant impact that the USF environment had on him that eventually led him to commit there.

“I committed because the culture that they are trying to build there — I want to be a part of that culture,” Janis said.