Three boys tennis players place at state singles/doubles tournament

Out of the six boys tennis individual state qualifiers, half of them placed at the state singles/doubles tournament at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex May 24.

Ella De Young

Samir Singh ’24 serves as Shivy Mannengi ’23 prepares for the return during their match for seventh place at the state singles/doubles tournament at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex May 24.

Ella De Young, Print Managing Editor

With temperatures in the 80s and the sun beating down, two days of exciting yet grueling tennis were on the horizon for the boys state tennis singles/doubles tournament at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex May 23-24. Last year, the West High boys tennis team produced the doubles state champion with the duo of Jayden Shin ’23 and Samir Singh ’24. This year, although none of the West players turned out on top, tough battles ended with three players placing in the top eight.

After losing in the main draw to eventual singles state champion Kaden Taylor ’24 of Waukee Northwest, Shin didn’t lose another match as he won the entire back draw, placing fifth. The doubles pair of Shivy Mannengi ’23 and Singh placed eighth. Jonathan Fan ’23 won one singles match while Patrick Selby ’24 and Junze Sun ’25 won one doubles match.

Catch the boys tennis team back in action May 31-June 1 at Waukee Northwest High School as they compete for a team state championship.