• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Q&A with Cadenza’s 2023-24 executive board

Get to know the leaders of West High’s classical music club!
Tina Hong ’25 (Jessie Li)

West Side Story: What is your musical background?

Tina Hong ’25: So I started playing violin when I was seven, I think. And I’ve just like, been playing. 

WSS: How did you get involved in Cadenza? 

T.H.: Basically freshman year, I heard [from] my friends that there’s a classical music club. I just wanted to join it because I played violin.

WSS: What plans/events are you most excited about this year?

T.H.: Definitely the concerts we have every year, and then we’re also looking into like, playing for maybe retirement homes and stuff.

WSS: What’s your current favorite song?

T.H.: My favorite song is either “I Wish You Love” by Laufey or “The Way Things Go” by Beabadoobee.

WSS: If you had a time machine, would you travel to the future or back to the past, and why?

T.H.: I would travel to the future and then come back and show everyone how cool it is.

Anna Song ’25 (Jessie Li)

WSS: What is your musical background? 

Anna Song ’25: I’ve played violin since I was like six, so almost 11 years. 

A.S.: I joined freshman year because it looked like it was really fun. So I guess I stuck with it. 

A.S.: I’m excited for our fall concert that we have with Chamber Orchestra. 

WSS: What is your current favorite song?

A.S.: Anything from Laufey’s “Witch” album’s good. My favorite is probably like “While You Were Sleeping.”

A.S.: The future, so I can see what I’m going to miss out on. 

Anjali Lodh ’25 (Jessie Li)

WSS: So what is your musical background? 

Anjali Lodh ’25: I’ve been playing violin since I was about five. And I started playing trumpet in fifth grade. Recently I’ve been dabbling in other instruments as well like piano, recorder, etc. 

A.L.: I remember seeing Cadenza at the club fair, Liam and Jonathan, two of the founders of Cadenza and they convinced me to join. I went to the meetings every week and it was really fun. So [then] I was interested in taking a leadership position. 

WSS: What plans or events are you most excited about this year? 

A.L.: Mr. Welch mentioned about doing our usual autumn festival. So it’d be nice to not just have it in the cafeteria, like always, maybe have a more fancier venue. We’re also looking forward to, none of the details of this have been finalized yet, but we were thinking about doing a tour of some of the elementary schools or maybe even Children’s Hospital. 

A.L.: My favorite song of all time is “Invisible String” by Taylor Swift. 

A.L.: I think the future because if I went to the past I might mess some things up. You know, like time continuum-wise. So if I go the future, I can kind of see how things might pan out and I might change a few things.

Sabrina Du ’25 (Jessie Li)

WSS: What is your musical background? 

Sabrina Du ’25: I’ve been playing violin for 11 years. I’ve played in numerous orchestras, and I’ve been a member of [West’s] Symphony for two years.

S.D.: I joined as a freshman, and I just thought it was super fun and interesting, so I just kept going to meeitngs.

S.D.: I’m really excited about the annual fall concert because I know it’s one that people always look forward to and we always have a lot of fun putting it on. And I’m also excited for a couple new things that we have planned for this year that we’re hoping to implement in the spring.

S.D.: My favorite song is “Mona Lisa” from the Spiderman movie.

S.D.: I would travel to the past because I think it would be cool to see stuff that you learn about in history class come to life and I think it would be fun to leave the future for a surprise.

Claire Hahn ’25 (Jessie Li)

WSS: What is your musical background? 

Claire Hahn ’25: I started playing oboe in fifth grade. And that’s when I first started taking lessons with my private instructor. So I’ve been playing for about six years now.

C.H.: I just went to the club fair in freshman year and I saw them set up and it interested me so I joined.

WWW: What plans/events are you most excited about this year?

C.H.: I’m most excited for our retirement home tour and introducing new concerts, like performing at the Children’s Hospital potentially.

C.H.: My current favorite song is “Promise” by Laufey.

C.H.: I would travel to the future so that I can just see what I’m doing.