Nicole Lee 24
Nicole Lee
Opinion Editor

(she/her) Nicole is a senior and in her third year on staff and second year as opinion editor. You can usually spot her walking down the hall wearing her yellow Doc Martens, listening to Belle and Sebastian....

Symphony orchestra to play at Carnegie Hall

Orchestra director Jon Welch announces Symphony Strings’ travel destination for the 2024-25 school year.
Welch and Symphony Strings students highlight their excitement for the upcoming Carnegie Hall trip.

On March 23, orchestra students gathered for yet another typical day of orchestra rehearsal during fourth period. But as the bell was about to signal the end of class, Orchestra director Jon Welch began playing Frank Sinatra’s “Theme From New York New York”, hinting at the orchestra’s trip destination set for next year. He then revealed two posters and announced that the orchestra would be traveling to New York City, N.Y. with the WorldStrides “Festival at Carnegie Hall: National Band & Orchestra Festival.”

Next year in March, West Symphony Strings will be heading to New York City to sightsee, watch a Broadway show and perform onstage at the most famous performance venue worldwide: Carnegie Hall.

Welch had to weigh other possibilities before making the executive decision for Symphony Strings to perform at Carnegie Hall. Symphony Strings was invited to perform at the National Orchestra Festival in Atlanta, G.A., in addition to other national venues such as the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and the Boston Symphony Hall.

Symphony Strings plans to begin fundraising for this trip as soon as the end of the 2023-24 school year, such as selling concessions at Iowa Hawkeye Football games, to help cover the trip’s costs.