What you missed this October

From football games to broken pipes, look back on the past few weeks with the links below.

Sidney Kiersch

Explore the links below to update yourself on this month’s events.

Sports

West volleyball season over, Kennedy advances: This year’s volleyball season came to an end with the Trojans being defeated 1-3 by Cedar Rapids Kennedy High School.

West to rematch Bettendorf: Iowa City West football team will host Bettendorf this Friday in the quarterfinal round of playoffs after defeating Cedar Rapids Kennedy.

Diving into a new sport: Austyn Goodale ’20 explains how she manages cheer and swimming, and what inspired her to get involved in the first place. Goodale and her team will have a meet in Marshalltown this Friday and Saturday.

News

Burst water pipe means no heat at West:  Students found themselves in coats and blankets during classes after a pipeline broke leading to cold temperatures throughout the school.

Bonding over the Bonfire: English Language Learner students and teachers gathered to roast marshmallows and paint pumpkins.

Podcast

West Side Radio: How well do you know ‘The Office?’: Three WSS staffers and guest Makenna Hendrickson ’19 put their knowledge of “The Office” to the test.

West Side Radio Book Talk: “The Hate U Give”: A live podcast talking with the West High Diversity Book Club as they discuss “The Hate U Give.”

Feature

An ocean apart: West student Soomin Koh ’22 is staying connected with her best friend Caroline Mascardo ’22 despite being on a different continent.

Joy at West: Zheyi Li ’20, usually a student at a Chinese boarding school, shares her perspective on West.

All-State auditions showcase students’ hard work: Learn about the audition process and competition for young musicians surrounding All-State.

No costumes, no jack-o’-lanterns, no candy corn: Amy Crespo ’21 explains why she doesn’t take part in the Halloween festivities.

Opinion

Lucy’s Lowdown: life’s unequal race track: Opinion editor Lucy Polyak tackles the topic of privilege in the second installment of her column series.

Compiled by Natalie Dunlap