• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Taelim
Taelim Yoon
Yearbook People Co-Editor

(she/her) Taelim is a sophomore at West High, and this is her first year on staff. Specializing in sports coverage, she is a reporter and designer for Trojan Epic. Outside of school, she's usually listening...

Cross country teams take on Ashton

The Trojan cross country teams traveled to the University of Iowa’s cross country course to take on top-ranked teams.

The boys and girls cross country teams crossed the street to compete in the Trojan Early Bird meet Aug. 28 at Ashton Cross Country Course. The girls looked to improve their No. 20 ranking while the boys set their eyes on advancing their position of No. 14.

The boys raced first, trying to catch No. 8 ranked Dubuque Hempstead. Michael Lee ’24 led the Trojan pack with an eighth-place finish at 17:38. Brice Wahe ’25 came in 40 seconds later while Robert Stong ’24, Sam Showers ’24, and Cade Bensen ’24 finished 21, 22, and 23 respectively. The team finished in fourth place.

The girls kept veteran strength while also adding on new talent. Kate Van Waning ’26 established herself at the front early, finishing in sixth place, less than 15 seconds behind No. 2 ranked Dubuque Hempstead’s third finisher. Cindy Wang ’24 crossed the finish line a little more than a minute later while freshman Susanna Olsen ’27 and Kalli Titus ’25 finished in 22:46 and 22:51 respectively. Senior Erinn Varga finished off the top five varsity runners at 23:15. The team finished in fourth place as well.

West will not come back home until Oct. 18 for the state qualifying meet.