Azaam
Azaam Guama
FOJ Intern

(he/him) Azaam is a junior this is his first year on staff. He will be an intern this year. Azaam enjoys listening to music and playing soccer.

West volleyball hosts annual Live Like Line Tournament

The Trojans played five games in the annual Live Like Line Tournament Sep. 9.

The 2018 movie “The Miracle Season” first introduced the world to Caroline Found’s legacy, but for West’s volleyball team, Found’s legacy has been motivating the Trojans since 2010 after her passing.

To recognize her, West retired Found’s jersey number 9 in 2021, and began the annual Live Like Line Tournament. Now in 2023, Found’s spirit is still perpetuated through the West High team even over a decade later.

“I think Caroline Found is very inspirational to a lot of people all around the country,” Emma Stammeyer ’24 said. “There’s a lot of people that have seen [The Miracle Season], know Caroline Found and wear her shirt, so I think she shows people that you can be there for anyone no matter what you’re going through in life.”

Head Coach Keely Arnold has a similar mindset, believing Found serves as a role model for all athletes. 

“The Live Like Line Tournament is really important because with sports and competition, things can get a little dicey,” Arnold said. “Everyone gets a little heated. But, at the end of the day, when we leave the court, we need to remember that everyone’s human and that we should all be here for each other.”

Off the court, Arnold emphasizes the remembrance of Found’s compassion towards others.

“I think it’s important to remember Caroline Found because she embodies a lot of the things that we forget in the fast moving day and age in which we live, and that’s to treat people with kindness and stop and recognize people for who they are,” Arnold said. 

The Trojans began the tournament against cross-town rival Regina Catholic. West lost the first set 14-21, but came back in the second set, winning 21-15. In the third set, the Trojans fell short, losing 13-15 to end the game with a 1-2 loss. 

In the next round of pool play, the Trojans competed against Ankeny, ranked third in 5A volleyball. West lost the first set 13-21 and lost the second set 15-21. 

In the final round of pool play, West fell to Mid-Prairie, losing the first set 14-21 and the second 15-21.

After pool play, the Trojans continued into the consolation bracket, to play Grinnell winning 2-1, and moved on to once again take on Regina Catholic. West narrowly lost the first set 24-26, and then lost the second set 17-25. 

The Trojans will take on Waterloo West Sep. 12 at the Xtreme Arena.

“We want to make it to state this year,” Arnold said. “We have some growth to be made, but there’s a lot of really great things that we’re doing right now and we just need to continue to work hard and play together.”