• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Jane Lam
Jane Lam
Print Assistant Copy Editor

(she/her) Jane Lam is a senior at West High. This is her third year on staff reporting for the print publication. As an assistant copy editor, she loves the little details. Outside of the newsroom, you...

IHSPA names WSS 2023 All-Iowa News Team of the Year

2022-23 Trojan Epic staff receive multiple photo, writing, design awards
Kevy Huynh
The 2023-24 Trojan Epic and West Side Story staff members at the Iowa High School Press Association’s state journalism conference at The University of Iowa on Oct. 19. IHSPA named the WSS a 2023 News Team of the Year.

The Iowa High School Press Association recognized both the West Side Story and Trojan Epic yearbook at its state journalism conference Oct. 19. The West Side Story staff was named a 2023 All-Iowa News Team of the Year, and the 2022-23 Trojan Epic staff received multiple photo, writing and design awards for last year’s Hero of Troy yearbook.

IHSPA judges selected the News Teams of the Year from a field of finalist schools, determined from the schools with the highest number of points accumulated during IHSPA’s various journalism contests. In 2017, IHSPA introduced the All-Iowa awards, and West has been recognized every year since.

In addition to the awards ceremony, the annual state conference featured a keynote speaker, 40 breakout sessions, newspaper and yearbook critiques and tours of the KRUI radio station and DITV broadcast studios.

Brandee Britt, social media and digital director for Hawkeye Athletics, was the keynote speaker.

Seventy West High journalists attended the conference, joined by nearly 800 other student journalists from across the state.

The Trojan Epic staff received these awards from the 2022-23 yearbook:

• First place Sports Feature Photo: “Volleyball vs. City” by Ceci De Young ’24
  • Second place Feature Photo: “Face painting” by Wesal Haroun ’24
  • Second place Personality Profile: “Hannah Longmire” by Josie Schwartz ’25
  • Third place Sports Action Photo: “Jack McCaffrey” by Ceci De Young ’24
  • Third place Cover: “House of Troy” by Ceci De Young ’24 and Akshethaa Naveen-Kumar ’24
  • Third place Feature Photo: “Club West Halloween Party” by Wesal Haroun ’24
  • Third place Personality Profile: “Kate Van Waning” by Melissa Uc ’23
  • Honorable Mention Design: “Year in Review” by Ava Bruxvoort ’25, Ivy Hendrickson ’25 and Akshethaa Naveen-Kumar ’24
  • Honorable Mention Photo Illustration: “Most likely to win an Oscar” by Will Cheng ’23 and Jay Mascardo ’23
  • Honorable Mention Sports Feature Photo: “First three-pointer of the season” by Ceci De Young ’24
  • Honorable Mention Design: “Trojan Family” by Wesal Haroun ’24
  • Honorable Mention Design: “We are Involved” by Wesal Haroun ’24, Emily Rabe ’26 and Charlotte Stephens ’26
  • Honorable Mention Design: “Opening Theme 3” by Ivy Hendrickson ’25
  • Honorable Mention Feature Photo: “Mosh Pit” by Sigrid Rossi ’24