Henry Timmer-Hackert
Henry Timmer-Hackert
Print Assistant Opinion Editor

(He/him) Henry is a sophomore at West High and ready for his first year on staff. He's the assistant opinion editor for the paper. Outside of West Side Story Henry runs with the cross country and track...

Unidos | A United Community

Unidos is a space for students to feel comfortable and connect with each other.
Unidos+is+the+Latinx+student+union+at+West.+
Yeju Seol
Unidos is the Latinx student union at West.

Unidos is a club for Latin American students and other students to hang out with each other. Students feel united, whether just chatting and watching a film or participating in projects. 

“I joined because [Unidos] was a place where I feel more related and I feel united. Basically, the word Unidos means united. And I feel like that was the place for me,” said Fatima Alvarado ’24. Alvarado had been in the club since the fall of her sophomore year.

My experience I would say it’s been really good. I feel like I’ve made a lot of friends through Unidos.

— Fatima Alvarado

Alvarado and many other members joined the club because they felt comfortable. Unidos was a good place for students to speak Spanish and learn more about Hispanic culture. 

“The only place I spoke Spanish was at home,  and I could never have the chance to bring that outside,” said Lucas Correa Leibfried ’26, a co-president of Unidos.

Silvia Martinez, ’24, is the other co-president of Unidos. Martinez has been in the club for two years now. “Since I’m Latino, and my first language is Spanish, and then my second one is English. It was really hard to communicate with some people. They will always be there helping me, and they’ll be speaking in Spanish or like helping me with English, and I felt really comfortable in [Unidos].”

Unidos members made memories and experiences in the club. Students get to hang out and have fun while getting to know each other. Leibfried enjoys this aspect of the club.

“Probably just like the moments where we’re just all having fun, playing games, just moments like this. We’re all just sitting down, you know? And like, getting to know each other and stuff. Or when we get to do projects, like outside of school, like when we get to go on field trips,” said Leibfried.

Victor Diaz Galindo became the sponsor for Unidos this year.

“When I applied to become a teacher at the school, I heard that there was a cool organization like this, and I didn’t realize it seems like such a unique thing that not all high schools have. So I wanted to be a part of it and being Latino myself, and having similar backgrounds as my students. I mean, you really want to support them in that way,” said Galindo.

Unidos is open to anyone who wants to join and be part of the community. The club now holds its meetings in the conference room in the West Wing office every Friday AFT.