• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Girls soccer vs. Waukee NW -postponed
  • Girls soccer vs. Ankeny Centennial -Friday @Centennial
  • Tennis vs. Linn Mar- postponed
  • Eastern Iowa Track and Field festival- Saturday all day

Ginger Mccartney 24
Ginger McCartney
Artist, Designer

(she/her) Ginger McCartney is currently a senior at West,  this is her third year on staff. She is the art editor for the West Side Story paper. Outside of school, she spends her time graphic designing...

Three Trojans take the podium at state wrestling meet

Looking to improve on previous state finishes, three wrestlers took the podium.

The boys wrestling team qualified eight wrestlers for state, doubling their total from last year. Held Feb. 14-17 at Wells Fargo Arena, the tournament yielded three podium finishes for the Trojans.

At 113, Alex Pierce ’26 was looking to defend his state title, but this time a weight class higher. He pinned his first opponent in 41 seconds and beat his next two by decision. Pierce got the first points with a takedown, but couldn’t hold off his competitor, finishing runner-up with a 10-4 decision.

In the 150 bracket, Justin Avila ’25 won by fall in the first period, securing his place in the quarterfinal match. However, he couldn’t get it done, heading to the consolation rounds. Avila made his way to the fifth-place match after a loss and a few wins by decision. He pinned his opponent in the third period, placing fifth.

Rounding out the podium finishes, was senior Kyler Scranton in the 175 bracket. After a heartbreaking, sudden-victory overtime loss, he bounced back to pin his next two opponents. Scranton wrestled his way to the third-place match, losing by technical fall to the No. 1 seed, earning him a fourth-place finish.