Trojans improve to 2-0 with win over Cedar Rapids Washington

The girls basketball team defeated Cedar Rapids Washington 47-46 behind 19 points from Emma Ingersoll-Weng ’22 on Dec. 3.

Owen Aanestad

Lucy Wolf ’24 eyes the ball as she settles in on defense against Cedar Rapids Washington on Dec. 3.

Owen Aanestad, Online Editor-In-Chief

Only two games into the season BJ Mayer’s Trojans have faced what some people would say is their greatest weakness this season: the post. After facing Bishop Garrigan’s Audi Crooks ’23 and future Hawkeye Hannah Stuelke ’22 there’s no doubt about it the girls basketball team has found a way around their supposed lack of size. The Trojans took down Stuelke and the Cedar Rapids Washington Warriors 47-46 on Dec. 3 behind 19 points and 5 steals from Emma Ingersoll-Weng ’22.

The girls basketball team jumped out to a 7-2 lead by forcing four Warrior turnovers early. Lucy Wolf ’24 fired up the student section in the Trojans’ home opener with a three to close out the first quarter 14-9, West. The Warriors fought right back despite struggling to keep possession. Stuelke made her presence known with some moves in the lane to tie the game up at 23. Melae’ Lacy ’24 connected from beyond the arc to put the Trojans back on top 26-23 with 1:31 left in the first half. The Trojans went into the break with six steals leading them into the second half up 28-25.

Ingersoll-Weng opened up the second half with back-to-back steals to extend West’s lead to four. Stuelke answered once again with four of her own to tie it up at 31. The Warrior post had all 21 of Cedar Rapids Washington’s second-half points. Transfer Keiko Ono-Fullard ’23 made her way onto the stat sheet with a steal and layup on the other end to make it 35-32 West, with a minute left in the third. Mayer slowed down the Trojans’ offense as time continued to expire in the fourth. Ingersoll-Weng knocked down a big corner three to extend West’s lead to five with 2:47 left. Wolf added to her seven points on the night with a layup when one of her teammates found her wide open in the lane with 39.4 seconds left to put the Trojans up 47-42. The Warriors couldn’t capitalize at the free throw line allowing Mayer’s squad to inbounds the ball as time expired and take home their second win of the season 47-46.

The girls basketball team will be back in action on Dec. 7 at Western Dubuque to face off with the Bobcats.